View Single Post
Old 07.21.2020, 09:10 PM   #24626
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Finally watched Gangs of New York!
Good, but not my favorite. Could have used some more editing and Cameron Diaz wasn’t really up to the role. Some great set design (that intro scene, wow!), but I think Daniel Day Lewis basically owns the film.

I felt like the contrast was overdone, too. Looked more like a Tarantino movie than a Scorsese joint aesthetically. I would have preferred a softer tone to go with the lush scenery and sets, but it was still good, if a little meandering.

Messages about power dynamics and the rich getting the poor to kill one another were kind of lost in a very basic narrative about revenge with a bit of Stockholm Syndrome thrown in. All things Scorsese would put those themes to better use, with The Departed.

Still, quite good. Though I could have ABSOLUTELY done without the U2 song blaring at the end. Ugh.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|