View Single Post
Old 10.22.2014, 09:40 PM   #42
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Even at their most hip- the pinnacle of their career... Just before All Hands on the Bad One started turning up at Best Buy & Circuit City, have S-K ever received this much ass kissing from the press.

were you not paying attention in 1997 when Dig Me Out was the darling of the music press??? Also they had KillRockStars discs in BestBuy before 2000 and AHOTBO and really that had nothing to do with the band at all, you don't "sell out" to get distribution at big chains, what happened in the late 1990s is that all the major distribution companies (not to be confused with the major music labels) realized there was money to be made even in small volume so they began putting "indie" records on mainstream store shelves and it was a gamble that paid off. Bands shouldn't lose street cred for their moderate success changing the dynamics of the music industry, if anything quite the opposite.

Quote:
I can't help but feel that this is a mistake. I have never seen Portlandia, and I've never heard the NPR show, and I've barely kept up with Corin Tucker Band, but I used to attend every S-K show I could.

The NPR blog was fantastic, the first seasons of Portlandia were hilarious, and the Corin Tucker Band is by far Corin's best side project too date, its very mature lyrics and developed sound.

Quote:
I feel like they left at the perfect time. I can't see what's to be gained from this, but it does smell a bit like $ to me.

The new record I think isn't about money, because Carrie makes plenty of money and Janet and Corin have had ZERO problems putting together moderately successful bands and tours.. Really, I dare say this is an authentic reunion based on the fact that in the past 2-3 years all these ladies have had some really fun tours and they realized they missed the chemistry they had together. The realer question is not one of "selling out" or not but rather simply can a band that hasn't performed together in a decade rejuvenate that initial spark of chemistry to begin with? Honestly I'm hoping so..

Quote:
Whatever. Punk isn't even a thing anymore.

What S-K "stood for" was always a bit more ambiguous than more extreme punk ethos.. Their perspective shifted over time but by the Woods they weren't a "political band" and neither was Wild Flag, Quasi, or the Corin Tucker Band, so really I think they just changed as musicians. Now, for example had they been more politically radical I think we could hold this taming and toning down against them as a matter of principle, but I'm not sure they ever abandoned any principles to begin with so we don't have much to judge here... Either the record is good or its not, either the tour is fun or its not, lets leave the judgements for there..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|