View Single Post
Old 08.28.2007, 03:11 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Okay.. listening now.. I'll do the track-by-track thing like you did..

1. Becuz. Simple and repetetive yet it builds to.. something.. strangely hooky.. "mature" Sonic Youth.. the vocals are mixed a bit loud and the guitars sound like they were covered in chlorine.. nice..

2. Junkie's Promise. This one isn't offensive or anything, it's just.. it's just kinda of there...

3. Saucer-Like. Probably the worst Lee Ranaldo song.. but that still makes it far and above most every other sonic youth song.. lots of nice guitar shit..

4. Washing Machine. This track, musically, is godhead.. in fact, it might be one of their best songs musically, if not their best song.. (maybe cross the breeze and rain on tin beat it by a few hairs).. but the vocals are TERRIBLE. TERR-I-BLE. God, can you imagine how this track would be percieved nowadays if Kim hadn't have sang on it? It's honestly amazing.. it's just.. "WENT AND BOUGHT A SODA POP HE'S SO NEAT" Ugh. Worst vocal delivery ever.

5. Unwind. No complaints.

6. Little Trouble Girl. Uh.. the most obvious B-Side-candidate ever, somehow suck onto the album as some kind of "centerpiece" and went on to become a single! Ugh. Kim Deal is one of my all time favorite singers, she has a beautiful voice, but.. wow.

7. No Queen Blues. Okay, I love this song. Not sure why. There's something about the spindly, winding guitar lines... they're delightfully tacky.. yet refined.. nice..

8. Panty Lies. Heh. On the old sonic youth board, one of my first posts was "WORST SONIC YOUTH SONG?" And I think most of us agreed panty lies is it.. but, actually, I've grown to appreciate the weird guitar stuff on this and the weird production.. still feels a bit off (not in a good way, either), but it's certainly not the worst sy song.

9. Untitled. Great!

10. Skip Tracer. Well, this is probably my 2nd favorite Sonic Youth song, the best Lee song, and the song I covered.. so.. I've always been obsessed with this track.. there's something about it.. I dunno.. and I've seen the band he's describing in this track, Mecca Normal..

11. Diamond Sea. It's beautiful but it's not necassarily something I enjoy listening to much. I loved this one a lot when I was 15.

edited, for clarity: So, yeah, this album is a bit rought around the edges, but I still think it is their 2nd best album (right behind A Thousand Leaves) since Daydream. Heh.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|