Thread: bowie
View Single Post
Old 08.16.2007, 11:31 AM   #67
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
yeah, they were neck to neck, in the 70's, in england; and now, all music posers are like "david bowie is the greatest" when perhaps 20% of those people have heard just "bang a gong", let alone the slider and/or electric warrior.

I started listening to T. Rex before I really got into Bowie. I have a number of albums by both of them (especially T. Rex) and they really don't sound enough alike to compare them in such a way. The only significant thing that they have in common, as far as I'm concerned, is the time period during which they both released the records they are most famous for. Maybe a few years ago I would've said that I wished T. Rex were as well-known and liked as Bowie, but now I would rather not have it that way. Most people I know who claim to like Bowie, for instance, only like a few of his songs and the rest they are attracted to is just his image in general and what it means for them. On the other hand, even though there really aren't a lot of T. Rex fans where I live, when I do find one, they're really into the music and not just the idea of the music and the image that goes along with it. This is probably because the name "David Bowie" means a certain thing to many people, whereas "T. Rex" doesn't mean much of anything to the same people, so liking T. Rex for their name alone won't do you much good. What I'm saying here is that claiming to be a David Bowie fan will automatically win you friends who like to pretend to be bisexual when really they're probably just a bunch of sexually inexperienced teenagers who like to at least appear otherwise. Claiming to be a T. Rex fan will just get you a bunch of strange looks from people who think you're really into dinosaurs.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|