View Single Post
Old 10.24.2007, 08:33 AM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjectives-ex
i am currently reading "Ubik" by PKD. i know that there are some songs on Sister based on his writing. then, i came across the phrase in Ubik, "wish fulfillment". it was by itself on the page. just like that. not really all by itself. down on the bottom of page 106. it says: "wish fulfillment," edie dorn said faintly.

so, here's my question and purpose for this thread. what are the songs that are based on his writing/books and so forth.

i heard Schizophrenia is based on PKD and i think that one of Lee's songs off Sister is also.

anybody know of any others?

wanna take a guess?

any theories?
gossip?

s.

Um, Sigmund Freud originated the term "wish fulfillment," grasshoppa. Although, yes, Sonic Youth have stated many times that some Sister lyrics derive from PKD.

The term is introduced in Freud's "Interpretations of Dreams." And Carl Jung, among many others, have vastly improved on Freud's theories since then.

Dick must have read (or scanned) Freud's book, liked the term, and appropiated it, as artists often do, in his own work.

In turn, Sonic Youth must have read (or scanned) Dick's book, liked the term, and appropiated it, as artists often do, in their own work.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|