View Single Post
Old 08.27.2013, 10:50 PM   #45653
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Sorry. I have post tool stress syndrome thing going on. Has to do with meeting them, for one thing, and seeing them become almost an afterthought to A Perfect Circle, whom I also saw live (with Nine Inch Nails, coincidentally), who were such an embarrassment as a "spin-off" band that they actually make me feel proud of Foo Fighters.

A Perfect Circle is not a spin off, its a side project, and as with the case sometimes, artists move on with new projects. tool is not over, but the A Perfect Circle interlude I thought was well timed for the break in between Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Quote:
APC sounded like Incubus, played by people who had heard but never grasped Bauhaus. It was awful awful awful prog, and I feel like most of the people at the show were there for them, not for NIN, who was one of my favorite bands on earth at the time.

I disagree, it was more like coffee shop tool with a distinctively different kind of bass structure and more singing, less growling.

Quote:

I do have to disagree about the "complete album" comment you made, because I believe that The Downward Spiral is quite complete, and brilliant throughout.

I agree with you, and I feel The Downward Spiral is the closet to a brilliantly complete NIN album, but even it has lows in comparison with its highs, and some of the material comes across blatantly as filler.

Quote:
Year Zero and The Slip are both also surprisingly well put together albums. Are they 100% great? No. But they're 85 or higher, and they're weird as hell for billboard chart toppers. So is Broken, despite being only 8-9 songs long, depending on what you consider "pinion" to be.

Wasn't dissing the production or craft, just my feeling of the sound. NIN albums always feel like in part they fall short of their potential. Its just my opinion, not a fact.

Quote:
Anyway...

Yeah, just don't diss tool anymore. We can agree the Trent Reznor is talented, and I enjoy A LOT of what he has done, I just think he needs to focus on ONE thing, and do it exceptionally, and I agree, the Downward Spiral is the closest to that, but that was what, 20 years ago?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|