View Single Post
Old 01.24.2013, 04:06 PM   #17048
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
"Hey babe, I have great expectations that my little dorrit will twist itself into your old curiosity shop. Hard times and a tale of two titties."
----
----

I've finally decided that it depends why you're watching a movie.

L'aventura is dull as fuck. Admit it. Not everyone who was chanting "Cut!" at the Cannes premiere was wrong. SUPERBAD is far more interesting.

And yet, __ ___ ____ {fill in the blanks}

---
At the end of a hard day, are you going to put on a slow, you-must-eat-your-vegetables-and-watch-this-movie-or-else-you-will-be-a-drooling-fool film?

Then again, when you're brain's on fire fire and hungry for sustenance, isn't anything less than excellent an affront?

---

Small quibble: These art films are more theater-oriented than most Hollywood fare. Usually a small cast, few locations. Dialogue is preferred over action. Etc. I think of Bergman very easily switching between theater and cinema.

And art films don't always equal visual grandeur. We can all think of examples of great art films that are on the crude side. And we can all think of visually stunning, beautiful films that otherwise fail to rise to the status of art.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|