View Single Post
Old 02.27.2012, 02:33 PM   #2869
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
namesake was brilliant, i read it before the interpreter of maladies so the stories suffered by comparison, presenting less developed characters. the dad especially i thought was cool as fuck on the inside but an uncool stoic on the outside. and gogol's struggles with his "american" girlfriend and the parallel with the indian girl he grows up with was great-- a kind of aborted-assimilation story with 2 instruments (or 3 or 4, depending on how you count).

of course the minorities belong in teh canon-- they belong at the very fucking center of it is my point.

my problem with literary ghettos is two-fold ("two-handed"?): on the one hand, mediocre writers and poets become canonized by virtue of being members of a "deserving" ghetto, and they subsequently "represent" poorly; on the other hand, great writers and poets who happen to be members of minority groups get demoted to the ghetto instead of being place at the fucking epicenter of literature where they belong--e.g., "kafka, the czech jew who wote in german". a provincial writer?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|