View Single Post
Old 10.15.2015, 03:27 PM   #47334
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Licence, Amused and Dramamine are killer.

But I agree. Props to "On Fire" where Barlow finally writes a heart-on-my-sleeve song that doesn't make me gag. Otherwise, only 6 duds. Usually, there are only 6 good ones.

But I really like the good ones. Seb, for me, is a "best-of" band. I go through the albums, pick out my favorites and end up with an amazing listen. But I'm often frustrated trying to listen to the albums themselves all the way through, except maybe Harmacy.

I've always loved "Not Too Amused" ... people love to give Bakesale crap for being the easy answer, the poppy mainstream favorite... the Sebadoh album for people who wish Sebadoh sounded more like Pavement... etc.

But "Not too Amused" comes right out of hell, like some scalding venomous Steve Albini track. I love the build. Poppy or not, Bakesale is an alternative rock favorite for very good reasons.

I get what you mean about Sebadoh being more of a "best of" thing for you. I think I used to feel that way too, until I really dug into the early stuff.

Their music is different enough from album to album that I rarely skip around, or stop an album to put another one in. That's the kind of thing I do with Guided by Voices.. a great band, no matter how conventional and predictable they've become... but one that certainly didn't need to release as many albums as they did.

I have the most fun with GbV when I'm listening to Live from Austin, TX or Human Amusement at Hourly Rates or some playlist full of short EP's and singles. There are very few GbV albums that I ever listen to from start to finish.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|