Thread: the gossip
View Single Post
Old 10.14.2009, 11:06 AM   #281
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Fair enough about Plastic People. My basic point though is that regardless of whether a band intend to be political or not they can have a political affect simply by existing in the way that they do during a given time or place.

Well that's exactly what Notyourfriend was saying about Sonic Youth, wasn' it?

Quote:
In that sense Sly and the Family Stone were political not just because they occasionally sang songs with a political content but because their very existence (as a band that included black and white members) managed to critique certain race-based issues very much in the air at the time. SatFS didn't so much make political statements in their songs as in their very being. Just as a woman making a film in Iran is a political statement regardless of what that film may be about.

That's a really interesting way to look at it and I think it really shows that there are different ways to consider something political, or to decide if something is political or not. If Sly and the Family Stone hadn't done any overtly political songs, i think it would make this point better, but anyway... I think that this way of looking at things is more "academic". I guess I don't really have a point to make here, just talking. But this point is really interesting to me.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|