View Single Post
Old 11.12.2007, 11:25 PM   #48
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
especially NIRVANA of course...

you really think you can come in and discredit me so readily?

Yep, Dead-Air, your Portland scene is very much derivative of the 2 biggest scenes in the nineties...Athens and Seattle...deal with it...acknowledge the facts.

And that's largely the way it will stay until some band breaks out of Portland in a big way, then the music scene there will slowly begin to be derivative of them, ala The White Stripes in Ann Arbor.

Everything is derivative of something...there is nothing really all that new under the sun, son.

P.S. I liked it better the first time around.

Uh, I lived in Seattle in the '80s and Olympia in the '90s. I went to school with Steve Turner between Green River and Mudhoney in Bellingham and am still in touch with him. I hold no loyalty whatsoever to any "Portland scene" and in fact the rest of my band lives in Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia.

Honestly, by the '90s Seattle was getting pretty tired, it was just that the rest of the world was catching on a little late. In the late '80s it was the best place in the world to live and see live music, much of it homegrown. That said, all of those bands owe a huge debt to the Wipers, who were from Portland and not Seattle. I watched the Wipers play in Bellingham with Mark Arm and Steve Turner in 1985 in fact, the U-men opened.

I just find it patently ridiculous that anyone would claim a band like Coldplay would be influenced by Mudhoney or even Nirvana. Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, maybe even This Mortal Coil - those bands probably influenced Coldplay (and I'm being nice and not suggesting Sting and Dave Matthews instead!)
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|