View Single Post
Old 07.03.2015, 03:53 PM   #54
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
The argument that if you approve gay marriage then you must approve all marriage is ridiculous, no you can't marry an animal, no you can't marry your daughter or sister, no you can't marry anyone under 18 (not sure if this is nation-wide to be honest). It has to do with consent, an animal can't give consent, and in most incest pairings usually someone is being forced or victimized, so again no consent. Some people want to equate homosexuality to be in the same line of immortality as incest or animal sex. It's a bogus argument.
The argument itself is not ridiculous but it is nefarious and meanspirited. Marriage in a secular society is a social contract. It entails some legal shit about assets and property, it also carries some social connotations like the expectations of behavior. It also plays into insurance benefits.
Socially it is also the creation of new families out of several different families. Not everyone in the family likes this but hey, that is precisely why folks get married because its not always about what some people in the family likes. So if society somehow wanted to negotiate bestiality, incest, or pedophilia that is legitimately on the table, however THIS society does not seem likely at all, considering we as a society already negotiated lawa punishing bestiality and pedophilia rightfully aa crimes.

Bytor also touched on religious and sacred. This is defined by the religious authorities. In the Orthodox Church our Fathers have said, "no dice." Interestingly it should be noted in Orthodox even heterosexual secular marriage is "sin" and couples are required to marry in the Church BEFORE filing their secular paperwork. In Orthodox marriage is a sacrament which is to say fundamentally interconnected with human salvation. Its not necessarily about procreation so much as a sanctified human relationship blessed by Grace. Further in the sacramental sense, marriage is a VOCATION similar to priesthood. This implies there is some deal of work involved.

Other religious authorities have been more flexible, i understand the Episcopalians have officially recognized gay marriages and officiate them.
Me? My personal vibe is marry who you love, but don't ask my priests to perform the service.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|