View Single Post
Old 02.21.2014, 01:37 PM   #17800
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
right - the zombie and post apoc thing is obviously about consumerism and the regressive fantasy of reverting to survivalism. this is why it disgusts me. it's trying to block off the interesting parts of consumerism, which are the parts that allow us to see ourselves as weird entities existing coterminously with non humans. it's basically human supremacy. it's a way of putting us into a scenario where we don't have to look at how our consumerist lifestyles don't save us from death. we sublimate this by killing people, and non people, to survive.

-

vampires - well, i think its more simple. vampires have always just been stand ins for the rich, upper classes, ruling classes, whatever you want to call them.

it's a sublimation of class and the identity that brings. becoming vampire is usually a fantasy of becoming rich and leaving ones class behind.

i mean, in true blood sookie is literally a poor hick waitress who doesnt have to go to work because millionaire ferrari driving vampires bring her on adventures.

by the 3rd season they had run out of ideas and it turned into an explicitly nihilistic murder fest where they said "fuck" a lot. kind of mirrors the sad and useless hedonism that most rich people today are consumed by.

every subsequent seasons plot was about internal divisions in the vampire society. there's nowhere else to go with this concept because once you become a vampire that's it, you're top of the food chain. all you can do is consume the underlings until you eventually get sick of it all and die.

when you become a vampire you have to feed off humans. so its like becoming rich and having to feed of the labour and servitude of what were once your brethren. that's it. so the only way out of this narrative deadlock would have been to make the war of humans against vampires that true blood often alludes to in the backround actually happen. but they didn't do that because that would have been actually interesting. instead in the next season they are going to introduce zombies. yawn.

so i guess what i'm saying is that after vampires comes marxism. and funny enough after twilight came the hunger games!

-

i'd also say the recent vampire fictions were trying to deal with secular life in a really clumsy way. twilight is obviously about a females sadness that all she can do is feed off the capital of dying interchangeable men. this sad state of vampiric consumerism is wiped away by the introduction of a immortal vampire love object who gets her out of this bind and gives her something to submit to that isn't just her cannibalistic drive to consume fuck and breed using hapless mortal men as resources in this sad project of perpetuating death after death by breeding more useless dying humans.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|