View Single Post
Old 10.21.2012, 09:59 AM   #16333
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
The Dark Knight Rises is "back by popular demand" at some theaters in my area, so of course I said "fuck you, college football" and blew off everything to go see it again, this time in IMAX.

It was tremendous, and I now believe it to be equal in greatness to Dark Knight. Though they are great in different ways, and TDK will be remembered as the soul of the trilogy, Rises is no fucking throwaway third act. All the philosophical quandaries that made the Dark Knight so unforgettable are still there, only they are broadened to a macro-scope.

I wanted to see it again, especially since I finally got the chance to watch Spider-man and Avengers. I wanted to reevaluate it in comparison to the other "summer of superhero" films. Though those movies were both great In their own way, it's Nolan is simply not making a comparable product. He has made a series of films that stand alone, irrespective of genre, and I believe them to be truly brilliant films in general.

They're just not super hero movies. They're movies about morality, identity, and altruism... Issues that are inherently human, and decidedly "non-super."

I couldn't be prouder of these movies. Avengers was a great ride, and Amazing Spider-Man started a much needed correction of past mistakes ( I wish that franchise well; it feels like it could have a lot of potential and I think it did a lot of things right) but TDK trilogy is just a completely different beast.

Excuse me for repeating myself, as I am sure I've said most of this before, but god damn: what an achievement. I really hope the reboot doesn't happen. DC needs to leave this character alone (until Bale is old enough for a "...returns" ) because Batman has been done to perfection. Nobody can or will ever do it better.

Done now.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|