View Single Post
Old 10.15.2017, 12:03 PM   #30
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
maybe people are afraid to be proven wrong in hindsight...like it sounds like garbage to me now..but what if it's just way ahead of me....

like some of those early rolling stone reviews of what are now thought of as classic albums.

Funny. People should be afraid of the exact opposite.

Lik, in 2002, everyone was saying Interpol was the new Joy Division, and no small number of Trail of Dead/Sonic Youth comparisons were made if memory serves. And while those 2002 albums still hold up quite well, gushing over them would be suicdide for a music reviewer in 2017 (or ‘16, ‘15... any time after 2003, really).

I think I would actually suck nards at reviewing music. I’d overthink everything, and I’d end up making embarrassing declarations about the goodness and shittiness of things.

What I really like is when NPR or some other outlet does a series of rapid fire “first impression” reviews of a big new release with commentary from multiple writers just talking about how they feel immediately after hearing an album for the first time. But that’s not really possible with low-profile releases... or really anything other than Kanye/Drake/Beyonce/Taylor Swift stuff. Still, I think there’s something to it. Music is a visceral thing after all, so it makes sense to discuss it in terms of the feelings it inspires.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|