View Single Post
Old 01.05.2017, 10:33 AM   #48427
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
To keep it simple, I'll call a "masterpiece" an album where I don't skip any tracks. I skip a few on PEPPERS, I skip all over the place on WHITE, and I skip nearly half of ABBY. I maybe skip one or two on HARD or HELP!

Is someone going to trade ALIEN LANES with me?

Probably not, because Alien Lanes is one of those albums that has burrowed its way into used bins everywhere. Not to the extent of, say, REM's Monster, but still, it's pretty easy to find.

Re: Masterpieces/"masterpieces"
You skip through half of Abbey Road? Wow. Which half, out of curiosity? The first half has the sometimes grating Octopus's Garden, and Maxwell's Solver Hammer isn't always what I want to hear. But it had George's defining statement (Something), and the world's favorite Beatles song according to Internets (Come Together), also Oh! Darling and I Want You (She's so Heavy), which is one of my personal favorites.

The second half is like one big, busy, wonderful song. Remember back when radio was an actual thing, how they'd often play the entire "Abbey Road Medley" starting with Mr. Mustard (sometimes even You Never Give Me Your Money) and go straight through The End (often leaving out Her Majesty, which bothered me)... anyway, 'member that? It's hard to imagine listening to, like, every other track in that sequence, so I assume you're skipping the first half, or just some scattered songs throughout. No bggie, just curious.

I skip tracks on The White Album too, even though it's my fave. But I skip weird ones that most people like. Blackbird, which I like very much, but it's been quite overused in popular culture as a go-to soundtrack for "I'm sad but I'm inspired, not giving up, blah, blah" moments. I also skip While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which I really don't like much (sorry!!), and find rather boring. But still, all things considered, regardless of which version, White is my favorite and I'd call it a masterpiece, despite the fact that it has skippable tracks ("number nine..").

As far as albums go, Revolver is the "best." I feel that it's a bit overshadowed by Sgt. Pepper's, which is a mighty album indeed, but in terms of consistency and just plain remarkable and enterprising pop songcraft, Revolver is the gold standard for the Beatles as a band. Even though I technically like the White Album more, it would be silly to argue that it's superior as an album.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|