View Single Post
Old 05.01.2010, 04:10 PM   #37
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think on this point, you are doing a literature degree, not a literature appreciation group. I expect your lecturers are dull as piss - they often are in lit departments - but I think the idea is that you're trying to do a whistle stop tour of literature as a culture; as such, the actual books themselves take a bit of a backseat. Have you ever read Pierre Bayard's 'How to talk about books you've never read?' He's a literature lecturer, and he makes some really interesting points about the finer dynamics of literature in universities (i.e., that's it's often more about how to not read).

If it's any consolation, I'm did a degree in a crap university, and my experience was much the same. Mr & Bowels went to a very good university for his subject, and I seem to remember he hated it. University is, unfortunately, very often crap.

Yeah, true. I'm not really talking about appreciation though. To have good knowledge of, and a lot to say about, a piece literature you need to spend more time on it I think. It's mad speed reading loads of books when you're not really getting much out of it. I do think they could maybe slightly reduce the reading, or at least increase the teaching, either of these would improve this problem.

No I haven't read that book, I'll seek it out. What do you mean how not to read? Being selective in reading the required reading?

Yeah, I'd probably be whining about my degree whatever I studied, wherever I studied it. What uni did you go to?
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|