View Single Post
Old 07.09.2016, 05:48 PM   #49263
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
the only thing that really stands out on The Downward Spiral is that guitar solo in "Ruiner" and the song "Hurt". if it wasn't for the guitars, this album would sound really dated 90's techno sounds besides those moment when Trent sounds like Sebadoh Lou. "March of the Pigs" is tight. like a glossed over Big Black.

im not fan of NIN's, but that solo on Ruiner. damn!

That's Adrian Belew on "Ruiner" (among other NIN songs, but that's his best performance), and yes, "Ruiner" is amazing, and that solo was directly responsible for that being my favorite NIN song ever.

Also, yes, the little sing-song piano tidbit on "March of the Pigs" is great. It makes the song, in fact. And of course "Hurt" is just a good song.

Downwars Spiral is a record I've aged with, like In Utero and Ok Computer. I didn't realize until my twenties that "Piggy" contained some of the most insanely awesome (if program enhanced) straight-up Jazz drumming of the '90s. That outro makes that song for me.

Other highlights from my perspective include "Reptile" and "The Downward Spiral" and the bizarro almost Yo La Tengo-esque "A Warm Place." It really is a record that's made great by its strangest moments. If it weren't for those little eccentric additions here and there, it would sound like Prodigy or some shit. Luckily it doesn't!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|