View Single Post
Old 04.23.2009, 07:09 AM   #24886
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
Obviously the music itself is very different. Still, I see what he did as a perfectly linear progression from what Coltrane was doing in his day. If you were a Coltrane fan in '74, and you managed to keep your passion for new and exploratory delves into music over the years and not hang on to only what interested you at the time, then you would have to love Nels' version as well, and I feel it would hit you the same as Coltrane's Interstellar Space did when it was released.

What's amazing to me about it, is that Cline doesn't really "play" the songs (I mean, he does in a way, you can hear certain phrases, etc that match up)... but really it's as if he channeled Coltrane. It's like he figured out, 'okay how would Trane do this record if he had a guitar strapped to him?' Anyway, more on this in a future NR Essentials thread. Cuz this record is f'ing essential y'all.