View Single Post
Old 01.02.2016, 01:19 PM   #67
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
it's a fuckin joke, a jab at Severian. if i made a list, would it really matter what album ranked at #3, and what ranked at #7? it's completely inane and subjective. why fuss over what constitutes a "real" album or not.. if it really hurts your brain, make a classification system for different types of releases.

i realize it's a personal, "album" top ten, but is set in stone? you've already revised the list x amount of times, and have expressed your perpetual uncertainty. how can you reach a point of total, absolute certainty? what about all of the music you've not yet heard, under-the-radar -type releases. it's impossible to create a definitive list, unless you're ignoring reality. is it against the rules to make a list for 2015 music in 2018? What puts Pusha T one slot ahead of Joanna Newsom?

all i'm saying is that it simply doesn't matter what you put in a list, what is defined as 'x' and what isn't. ultimately, anything can be defined as music, you can call it what you want. personal listening experiences aren't so easy to define and "rank" above/below one another. it just seems like a futile exercise, not something that should require so much deliberation and thought. again, i realize this is an albums thread, my apologies for the rant.

You're right, it's totally subjective and idiotic. I mean, I was re-ordering my top 50 of 2014 through most of 2015. It's just something I do to kill time. It's fun and it's also a tradition.

But yeah, it's absolutely arbitrary. No argument here. I've been doing it since 1993 in one form or another, however, so I doubt I'll stop. If I was a less neurotic person, I'd just have "Album of the Year" and list the rest of the top albums alphabetically or something. But if anything I'm far more neurotic than anyone realizes. Myself included. So that's that.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|