View Single Post
Old 08.20.2015, 03:49 PM   #47205
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
She's been in about 40 movies. You've probably seen Say Anything, the flick in which John Cusack holds a boombox over his head (incidentally, the song coming out of that thing was supposed to be The Replacements' "Within Your Reach", but the studio wanted something mainstream and Cameron Crowe caved; things could've turned out differently for the Mats...).

Wow. I never knew that. I've always loved Say Anything, and I've been a Mats fan for so long that I feel like I must have first heard them in a former life. But as good as "Within Your Reach" is (possibly my favorite Replacements song), I can't imagine that seen going down any other way.

But that's probably because I've only ever experienced the scene with "In Your Eyes." The more I think about it the more I think "Within Your Reach" would be fucking awesome! It's hard to say if the scene would be as beloved if it featured a less popular and accessible song... It would totally change the tone of it all completely.

but yeah - imagine if it was an even more universally powerful moment. I doubt it would have changed a whole lot for the band, since the movie came out in '89, near the end of their career. But who knows what kind of a difference a popular song in a popular film would have made for them in that last stretch?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|