View Single Post
Old 07.19.2015, 03:18 PM   #47090
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Future - DS2 (Dirty Sprites 2)

I'm kind of impressed by some of the sonic elements at play here... production and what not. But I don't really understand why so many people seem to think Fu is the new King of Rap.

Judging by the iTunes reviews, he's just "������" ("fire" ... Slang for "good" mixed with "exciting" and a little bit of "WTF"... I know, language is dying and it's tragic), but his actual rapping so often feels lazy and extremely forgettable to me. I liked his first LP, and I've liked his mixtapes, but mostly because of the arrangements, the guest spots (see KanYe in "Trophy") and the heats.

But I think he falls victim to the same kind of rather thoughtless slurring about "xannies" and "Molly" that Young Thug showed us on his unfathomably disappointing retail debut this year.

Sometimes I just think, this isn't even rap anymore! There is no attempt to convey meaning, no apparent desire to be understood, no cadence to speak of.... It's just like some crossbreeding of monotone rap, monotone singing, and something approximating reggae chant-riffing without the melody (so, also monotone)

I'm not sure I'm convinced this guy is the savior of hip hop.
I'm so confused too. I'm listening to it for the third time in a row now.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|