View Single Post
Old 08.29.2015, 10:37 PM   #20
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Apology not necessary, Severian. I didn't take it badly. I was justly criticizing myself for being too much in my own comfort zone at times. That doesn't mean I have to like everything that Music Choice or anyone else calls "indie". But for awhile I've been trying to seek out music beyond new releases by old favorites, or bands that conform to my usual interests. All in all, the MC "Indie" channel had more misses than hits (maybe that's why I was nodding off!). But Warpaint sounded like they might merit further investigation, and I'll certainly check their earlier stuff out.

I really love your Sufjan Stevens description: "the super insane hyper Christian Kanye West of indie pop". That alone deserves some reputation!

I appreciate your search for new music from outside the old comfort zones. I've been on a similar crusade since around 2011. I made a resolution not only to familiarize myself with new bands towing the lines of post-punk, noise and experimental music (my old scene haunts), but to also forge into music that was totally unrelated to the SY-Velvets vein. It brought me to a rediscovery of hip hop, and nurtured a growing lust for electronic music of all varieties.

Part of the Sufjan line- to me- is that I probably *should* be into him, since I'm a devout Kanye follower. But his early albums make me want to hear Jim O'Rourke, and the rest of his music - save maybe Age of Adz, actually scares me in a seventh day Adventist creeping outside your house kind of way. I love creepy music, but Sufjan is the wrong kind of creepy... Like that crazed preacher on Carnivale. *shutters*

Btw: in my humble opinion the best noisey-punk derived bands of the past few years have been:

2013: Black Bug!!!
2014: Dub Thompson!
2015: Viet Cong!

But mostly Black Bug. Utterly unheralded by mainstream media of any kind. 2013's Reflecting the Light is my favorite punk/noise/deranged industrial album of the 2010's.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|