View Single Post
Old 11.08.2013, 03:57 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Too many people think they know Hendrix, and too many of his "hit singles" dominate the narrative. Too many old wives tales and burnt out hippie myths perpetuate the lore. Acid in the headband? Seriously? Lame. Has anyone even listened to the Electric Lady sessions? Do people even read/watch his actual interviews, or is the legend better for them? Can they handle that aside from in the bedroom or with a guitar in his hands, the man was sincerely shy, kind, and funny? What is amazing is that all we had of Jimi were five short years, and yet, it comes across as an eternity. I mean, the guy went from a virtual nobody at the start of the Monterey Pop Festival, lit his fucking guitar on fire, and within a year topped even the Beatles in fanfare and buzz. I grew up on Hendrix's music, not his hype. I LOVE every single piece of music that Hendrix did, whether live, on an album, or even snippets and outtakes from the studio. The guy's personality is so remarkable to me, the guy was permeated with an authenticity and genuine love and kindness that is rare among any human beings, let alone super-star artists. I mean, John Lennon was great, but the guy was kind of abrasive in real life to real people. I know its cliched, but in actuality I think that only Jimi and Jerry Garcia maintained that kind of sincere kindness, they were like that shy friend you love to hang out with, but for no particular reason other than that you like their company.

This is a thread to celebrate Jimi. I'm talking about the real Hendrix. What are your favorite songs? Best performances? Laugh out loud moments? Crazy outfits? Esoteric lyrics? Stage banter and personality in his interviews? Share accordingly.

"And they call girls groupies and passive people hippies and all that.. Its because they're fucking, not in looooove man, that is the problem sometimes.."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|