View Single Post
Old 04.17.2006, 04:22 PM   #4
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
well if you haven't heard the new album yet, i think the production isn't too different actually as compared to Nurse or Murray Street eventhough it was recorded at Sear and not Murray Street... Rather Ripped seems a abit more "slick" production-wise, the guitars have a similar feel as the last 2 albums... the main difference is that the songs are indeed more short and concise and direct...

O'Rourke's fault... don't see how you can blame him as it was the band's decision to add him in the first place, and you can't really say that Jim was the main instigator of having the band have "more extemporaneous and drawn out... songs". an example is A Thousand Leaves, those songs on that album are pretty exploratory and lengthy and had nothing to do w/ O'Rourke's presence since they were still a quartet.

Yeah, yeah, my overall feeling is that the core members of the youth just basically do whatever they want and determine the new sound. I'm don't blame Jim for anything (hence the super-ironic post title). I do get the feeling that because Jim left they indeed decided to go for a tighter more immediate sound. I think the oddest thing on the record is that Lee takes some big rock guitar leads every once and awhile which he only really did like a couple of times on dirty and jet-set.

On the production side I feel like Rather Ripped sounds much warmer than the two records with Jim. I think there's a better balance between Thurston and Lee's guitars, but maybe that's just because the third guitar is absent. The sound on Murray Street and Nurse sounded a bit clinical and calculated to me, especially murray street.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|