View Single Post
Old 04.17.2006, 04:06 PM   #1
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
So, with Rather Ripped can we finally settle the debate about whether or not it was Jim's "fault" that sonic youth were moving in a more "rock" or "classic rock" influenced direction?

I thought this was a really funny scapegoat kinda argument some people were making. Sonic Youth said time after time that Jim had little to do w/ the genesis of the songs, mostly because he himself was tentative to have that kind of influence on the band, but instead added basslines, subtle guitar parts, an extra dimension, or production. Most of the songs on Murray Street were straight up written by Thurston and then transformed by the band, but every once in a while someone would pop up and be like "Jim O'rourke ruined Sonic Youth, and his influence is clear in the rock nature of the new songs." I never really agreed with these people.

Now, Rather Ripped's got this sweet subtle pop-like sound... Almost completely devoid of extended noise noodling... and Jim's not there... A lot people argued that with Jim in the band they were more comfortable to be a little more extemporaneous and drawn out in their songs. Looks like they may have been right. I remember some quote by thurston or lee saying that because Jim left they wanted to play some more straightforward material so everyone could just grab a guitar and squeeze the song out w/out a lot of calculating.

I do have to say though, that I wasn't too into Jim's production on Nurse and Murray Street, and its nice to hear them recording at a different studio w/ a different flavor.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|