View Single Post
Old 03.15.2016, 08:04 PM   #34
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I disagree that Nolan versions were "terribly perfect".. i found them outlandish. Like Rob only the one with Joker is ok to me. I me let me explain, as a blockbuster flick? The nolan movies are definitely top shelf. But, as Batman? I just thought it went too outlandish in the blowing shit up and everything is dark and terrifying for Batman.. to me? Batman is dark but is more film noir less about horror. Batman is a bit classier then i think the Nolan flicks pulls off. As a movie Nolan films kick ass.. as specifically Batman movies? I don't particularly care for them.

I guess I can see where you're coming from. I'm just a really big fan of Nolan's approach and method. Some folks think he's too Hollywood, but that wasn't always the case. I think he has excellent instincts, and yeah, I think he made an epic and hyper realistic (not truly realistic.... hyper realistic, as though you're having a panic attack while watching the films, and perceiving everything in crystalline detail, and feeling every overwhelming piece of perceptual stimulation) crime drama out of Batman, and that it was less about making a movie about Batman and more about making a story about the world Batman is supposed to (or would, if real) exist in.

Yeah, it leaves out a ton of the Batman character, and places all the focus on either the villains (Joker just ruled TDK, even the scenes he wasn't in) or the big (sometimes REALLY big) picture. In that sense, it could have been about anyone... Could have been a cop drama or a gangster drama... But I think that was kind of the point... To make a trilogy of Batman films that were NOT JUST FOR COMIC BOOK FANS.

So it probably wasn't the perfect film depiction of Batman. I still think it's the best one, but there was too much else going on for the actual personality of Batman to come through very well.

I actually think it was more of a Gotham City story. But whatever it did miss, I think it hit enough things pretty perfectly, and I think it's a success.

Really, Gordon is probably the main character of the series, if there is one. But yeah, it's not really "about" Batman. And there's a lot of the character that's left unexplored. But his vision was well rounded and direct and well executed and I think The Dark Knight is one of the best films ever. It's hard to even think about it as a "comic book" film. To me, it's more along the lines of The Godfather, or Heat, or the Departed. An ensemble piece. And an extraordinary film no matter how you slice it.

But I'll agree that as a "Batman film" it's a little light on Batman. Not just in screen time, but in general. Anyway I was still crying tears of joy when Batman Begins came out and I realized that I finally had a GOOD on screen adaptation of Batman again. Those Shumacher films were a real, REAL kick in the fucking balls.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|