View Single Post
Old 04.15.2006, 08:41 PM   #77
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
"Wilco covering SY"?...yeah whatever, flame-tard.

Actually, I think the analogy is fairly accurate.

When I first heard the new album, my impression was that it is very atypical Sonic Youth. I mean, there's even less dissonance(none?) and even less feedback(none?) than Sonic Nurse...it's just melodies upon melodies. At first I was like "What the fuck, this is vomitive", but that's because I was expecting to hear something reminiscent of Sister. Partly because of the album cover looking like some 80s hardcore punk cover, and partly because of the band talking about Jim leaving and returning to a more rock oriented sound. Instead its all laid back guitar lines and melodic singing and shit..pretty stuff, nothing nasty.

But I was listening to the Melvins' Houdini album this morning and I really liked the first 2 tracks but then I started getting bored with it, so I put on the new Sonic Youth album again. I dunno, it's kinda catchy and it can be a grower. Only time will tell i guess.