View Single Post
Old 08.09.2018, 03:18 PM   #2142
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
but while the whole universe is amazing i think this stands alone very well as its own thing.

Agreed. 100% agreed.

I think I worded my statement a little poorly when saying the "cleverness is lost." That did sort of make it sound like I was saying you HAD to watch BB first or something to really enjoy BCS. I did not mean that at all. This series certainly stands alone as it's own thing. You are nailing it when you talk about the lack of hyperviolence, the literary form of this character, the human relationships developed. It all stands alone perfectly well as great television on its own.

I guess what I meant by saying what I said is:

SPOILERS: By "revisiting" this world in the prequel fashion as they have, they really have created an interesting challenge for themselves. But they are excelling at meeting that challenge and intentionally providing serious payoff for BB fans in their writing. They way they are "introducing" some of these characters has been amazing nerdgasm, geeky goosebump moments for me, and they are written specifically to be just that. Tuco opening that front door? You intstantly go, "Oh fuck" as a BB fan. Mike getting a full episode for his opening backstory? They knew that's what fans wanted. He's one of the coolest characters ever written. The "Don't" message to Mike foreshadowing Gus's return. Even down to Saul's receptionist coming in to work their joint firm. While the writing stands on its own for sure, there is just such an added layer of cleverness in the way they use our previous knowledge of this world that I really respect, creatively. And that is more specifically what I am saying get's lost...that ADDED layer of awesomeness to what is already awesome on its own, ha.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|