Thread: Mix Tapes
View Single Post
Old 08.10.2006, 03:00 AM   #368
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Next track:

No idea again, psychedelicish, the only track so far that doesn't do a great deal for me - nice enough though. The vocals leave me cold - I think that's why - a bit weedy.

And the next track suffers from the same kind of weedy vocals & doesn't seem to go anywhere.

One of these two tracks is My Bloody Valentine covering Wire's "Outdoor Miner", the other one I can't remember. But it's been voted a miss, so it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
And back to the good stuff. You Don't Miss Your Water... but I don't know who this is. Sounds a bit like The Triffids or that kind of thing. I really like his voice (I mention vocals a lot don't I?). Really good version of this song.
The Triffids it is. I adore this song.

Quote:
The Jesus & Mary Chain. Can't remember the name of the song. As I've mentioned a few times here, I went to see them in 1985 but they were completely over-shadowed by the support band, a then little-known band called Sonic Youth. The last time I saw JAMC was 1998 and it was a sad thing to behold. They just couldn't be bothered to even try to look vaguely interested.
Not JAMC, but Jim Reid covering The Beatles "And Your Bird Can Sing" from the CD on the cover of one of the music monthlies a couple of months ago. I had forgotten what a beautiful voice he has until I heard this.

Quote:
Felt next with Primitive Painters. I had a friend and we used to do gig swaps. I'd go to see one of his bands, then he'd come & see one of mine. I took him to see Firehose, he took me to see Felt; I took him to see Henry Rollins, he took me to see Felt; I took him to see The Jesus Lizard, he took me to see Felt. Do you see where this is going? I couldn't believe how fanatical Felt fans were. And to get back to vocals, I couldn't stand Lawrence's voice. The only album of theirs I really liked was the instrumental one (Train Above The City?). This is a really good song though, with Liz Fraser on vocals.
I'm not a Felt fan, but Primitive Painters is a brilliant track because of the contrast between Laurence's dour disinterest and Liz Fraser's soaring passion. A mid-80's masterpiece.

I'm glad you (mostly) enjoyed side one. I made it more with American youth in mind, a sort of an introduction to what was going on in in the UK in the '80s. Side two I compiled as a contrast to the pop direction of side one. Somehow I suspect it won't have hit the spot quite so well, particularly bearing in mind the number of times you've mentioned vocals so far. But we shall see.

The tape that I've been sent to listen to arrived at my girlfriend's yesterday (I have most of my post sent there because my own postman finds walking up the stairs to my flat too much like hard work and just leaves my letters at the bottom of the stairs where anyone can pick them up), so I'll get to listen to it today.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|