Thread: Mix Tapes
View Single Post
Old 08.09.2006, 04:17 PM   #366
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, my review's dragging on compared to Hip Priest's. Still, here we go again. Next track:

No idea again, psychedelicish, the only track so far that doesn't do a great deal for me - nice enough though. The vocals leave me cold - I think that's why - a bit weedy.

And the next track suffers from the same kind of weedy vocals & doesn't seem to go anywhere.

And back to the good stuff. You Don't Miss Your Water... but I don't know who this is. Sounds a bit like The Triffids or that kind of thing. I really like his voice (I mention vocals a lot don't I?). Really good version of this song.

The Jesus & Mary Chain. Can't remember the name of the song. As I've mentioned a few times here, I went to see them in 1985 but they were completely over-shadowed by the support band, a then little-known band called Sonic Youth. The last time I saw JAMC was 1998 and it was a sad thing to behold. They just couldn't be bothered to even try to look vaguely interested.

Felt next with Primitive Painters. I had a friend and we used to do gig swaps. I'd go to see one of his bands, then he'd come & see one of mine. I took him to see Firehose, he took me to see Felt; I took him to see Henry Rollins, he took me to see Felt; I took him to see The Jesus Lizard, he took me to see Felt. Do you see where this is going? I couldn't believe how fanatical Felt fans were. And to get back to vocals, I couldn't stand Lawrence's voice. The only album of theirs I really liked was the instrumental one (Train Above The City?). This is a really good song though, with Liz Fraser on vocals.

And that's the end of Side One. Sorry for the lengthy review, but I'm LOVING it.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|