View Single Post
Old 07.30.2007, 02:27 PM   #52
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Trying to keep thoughts short:

Folk music to me means wandering around a field/ pub and seeing things and not really remembering them. Folk music also means any 'traditional' (in the broadest sense) music. I like a lot of English folk, I tend to see a lot of it live this year, but I almost never buy it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with C93/ Pentangle/ Planxty (or whatever) and it can be very enjoyable.

I would like to say, however, that the 'folk music' being talked about in this thread strikes me as one particular strain of folk music - I'd have to include Tuvan Khoomei or Congolese Soukous (itself a misecegenation of r n' r and traditional Congolese stuff) or any number of things. This isn't a criticism, merely an observation. Obviously, the folk music on a message board that's predominantly Anglo-American is going to be (drumroll please) Anglo-American folk music.

Right, so do I have an actual point then? Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|