View Single Post
Old 02.16.2014, 10:36 PM   #50
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Great post! I totally miss Jim, I think that his involvement made 1998-2005 even BETTER than those peak mid-80 years. Jim seemed to add more underlying structure and symmetry, which allowed for Thurston and Steve explore more range in their guitar work. Really, it came down to the fact that Jim was a totally better bass player than Kim

Thank you! Jim provided for Sonic Youth exactly what they needed after the gear theft incident of 1999, he expanded their sound without changing it. Although I would rank NYC Ghosts & Flowers no where near Murray Street and Sonic Nurse in terms of overall almost perfection, that album was important as a transitional record and his full integration into the band. And as with all SY albums, NYCG&F has its moments. A Thousand Leaves was their last album as the SY super quartet that they had been since EVOL. But for Rather Ripped, going back to being a quartet just did not work the same way as it did between the years of 1986 - 1998.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|