View Single Post
Old 03.28.2013, 05:27 PM   #236
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I'm not picking on you, because you're obviously entitled to your opinion (and I'm not actually sure if you're referring to the sound quality or the actual songwriting), but I'm wondering if you're basing this on one listen to a low quality stream?

I found the LP sounded a little mid-rangey and "boomy" (as somebody mentioned earlier in the thread). I hate talking about this because I'm not qualified to articulate it, I just know what I mean...haha. I was surprised though, because I remembered the preview mp3s sounding pretty damn good. I'm curious to check out the flac download (nice option, btw!) and see how it compares to the LP. I didn't hear any clipping (also mentioned in this thread), or at least nothing as obvious as some of the moments on The Eternal, but maybe the digital copy will be a different experience.

The songs sounded to me really unworthy of further listening based purely on one listen and there's not going back here. As you mentioned, we are entitled to our own opinion. The fidelity of preview mp3s is too often used as an excuse to investigate further on records that aren't worth the effort at all. This is one of those cases for me. The songs are rubbish, whichever bitrate you listen to them at. Besides, the nature of this album certainly has none of the subtleties required for more patient listening sessions. It's Thurston Moore's band we are talking about, remember. The man himself hates mp3s, whether they come in high or low quality.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|