View Single Post
Old 03.26.2014, 06:45 PM   #49
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by an evening with viewtiful
I've been jamming on Atlas by Real Estate quite a bit lately.
I know it probably won't even make my top ten by year's end, but it's a likable little album that satisfies enough musical cravings to stay in my CD player.

So far, Pinata by Freddie Gibbs and Madlib is the year's clear front runner. Definitely the year's first classic album, that's for sure

Ok so, I have mixed feelings about Real Estate. They're bland and sad as hell, but I think they're capable of being better. They have the appreciation of indie music, musical ability, and sense of melody to be one of generation's first new "classic" indie acts, carrying on the tradition of Built to Spill and SDRE, but they seem to have been castrated somewhere along the way.

I listened to the album long enough to give it a fair (though mostly bad) review on my fledgling blog. I have not cared to revisit it. Though there were some moments that reminded me of Neil Young, which is ok. And REM without the unique sound and ingenious combination of melancholy and quirk.

Piñata is still growing on me. I definitely like it, but as I said in the Café, I'd prefer more Lib and less Gibb. The production is not dominant. For me, that's a little weird. And God bless Freddie Gibbs, but I've always considered Madlib to be on an entirely different tip than street rap/gangsta shit. So, I'm letting it sink in.

So far my favorite hip hop album is still Schoolboy Q's Oxymoron. Best believe.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|