View Single Post
Old 05.12.2017, 12:03 AM   #242
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait what? There's a Babyfather album coming out this year?

Where/when did you hear about this? I haven't (I don't think), but hot damn I loved BBF.

Hmmmmm...

I do think that some of today's most daring artists are a little too bogged down with identity politicking for their own good (another example is ANOHNI — nothing against her, but it almost feels criminal to take such a unique and weird voice and to confine it to gender and political anthems. I would like to hear her venture into truly experimental territory on her next outing, assuming she remains ANOHNI. HOPELESSNESS was a really good record, but it's also the kind of thing you can only do once.

With Arca I'm less familiar with the visual aesthetic of the work. I like Arca becaue Arca seems to be carrying on in the bending of electronic genres and rules that my dearly beloved Aphex Twin did (and does) so goddamn well.

I remember liking the new Arca (haven't listened to it a ton) but I also remember feeling that it was a bit "ballad" heavy for an artist labeled "experimental." The tones and chopped melodies certainly do tend to run a bit heavy on the yearning and melancholy. I'm more interested in musical textures and variety, especially from electronic artists.

I'm going to listen to it again though so I can be sure we're even talking about the same thing.
it's already out...?? it's just a little mixtape, think it's vanished from the internet again though. called 'cypher'. even slighter than 419 and platinum tears but violent in a way blunt hasn't been since the hype williams days.

re arca, he pretty much is aphex from my perspective in relation to the 'undercarriage' of whatever this movement's become: a glossier, more palatable take on things that crystallises them really deftly but isn't really obliterating things the way a lot of other stuff in that sphere tends to. like it's good, I'm not going to pick at it and say that it isn't bad or anything but it's not *that* necessary, I don't need to listen to it.

that whole chopped melodies thing seems a bit outdated to me, like skyh1 has been doing it, visionist's been doing it, all the boxed and halcyon veil guys have been doing it for years, and I don't really think arca's contributing that much, even as he's been doing it since those early tapes (which I will say were fucking great). that's why, as many problems as I have with this record, they're only niggling as this record's more important in terms of what it's representing for him -- it's an upward development where all his other records have been sidesteps. my issue is that he's yet to put together a record that's unassailable, where it's not blighted by some noticeable flaw, hopefully he'll be able to figure it out eventually.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|