View Single Post
Old 03.24.2006, 07:58 PM   #83
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hip priest: see it's easy to take a pot shot at the 5th.

I chose the 5th deliberately. It's easy to take pot shots at for a reason, a reason that I feel demonstrates my point.

Quote:
wouldn't fly w/ the eroica however. or even the 9th as much as it's been used/abused/overused. and were you to attempt a similar criticism of the late quartets you'd fall flat on your face. the complexity of those pieces is something else.

Quite. I wouldn't criticise the late quartets in the same way because I agree - I had no intention of doing so. They are far superior. Also, in noumenal's Beethoven thread, I said tonight - 'As a child I heard a lot of stuff, I still quite like the variations on Bei Maennern, welche Liebe fuehlen, but I'm not a huge fan.' So I'm not blind to the fact that someone can be good (even great), but that doesn't mean that they are in no way overrated.

Quote:
so if you say the 5th is overrated i might say "ok fine". saying beethoven is overrated however is really not applicable as some of his best music is little known or understood.

Fair enough. That's a reasonable point in terms of the qualitative aspects of his compositions, but it doesn't address the imbalance of attention his work gets. On which you say...

Quote:
now about radio stations, it's the same phenomenon in the u.s.-- "mainstream" classical is all they offer. ZZZZZZZZZZZ. i don't care for that. but in that sense i think mozart would be more "overrated" since he's even got some candy balls named after him

Over here, Mozart and Beethoven get similar attention. I personally find Mozart fun to listen to, so I don't think he's as overrated. Don't forget that on both sides of the argument this is all subjective opinion rather than objective fact.

Beethoven has a comedy dog named after him.

Quote:
about jazz: the jazz world is full of hacks and sellouts & popular wankers too. i was refuting your statement that "there are no jazz equivalents of the foo fighters" or something like that by offering the name of diana krall. i didn't get what you meant the 2nd time about the grunge/not-grunge etc.

What I meant was that Grohl used to be grunge, but he's changed to poprock or whatever you wish to call it. People accept that and
don't call the F** F******* grunge anymore. Cullum and Kenny G have made a similar switch to pop, but get called jazz nonetheless. It seems strange. Krall I think has slightly more of a jazz element left. Opinion again.

Quote:
"hm" - is "hmmm..." that's the sound of me thinking

ha

Thanks.

Quote:
anyway i see you like janacek-- cool! i'll post there if i have time tonight-- gotta go to the animal collective show in a bit

Have fun. Saw a video of theirs recently. It seemed OK.

Janacek is fantastic.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|