View Single Post
Old 04.24.2006, 06:27 PM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoop
though i couldn't care less about philosophy (thanks to horrid teachers), i thought Sartre was an existentialist........

I might be so wrong there though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
*Edit: Sartre - Being and Nothingness

*These last two [i.e Sartre and Heidegger] I really hate but are very important to philosophy.

You're not wrong, I do think Sartre's existentialism is one of the poorest excuses for philosophy; he is important enough to merit being read.

I should clarify - Sartre, in and of himself is not so unbearable - I merely have moderate antipathy; in and of the legion of people who read and misinterpret him I find him unbearable. He is the one that most people start on, and also the one that an overwhelming majority of new-to-philosophy types abuse for their own ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
most philosophy before nietzsche is utter shit: covert theology

And Thus Spake Zarathustra gets away from this criticism because it's less covert? I realise he criticise theology very heavily, but lets not forget that the concept of the superman is entirely concieved through religious notions. Rarely does a philosopher get away from theology with anything approximating conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|