View Single Post
Old 06.24.2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I was a serious metal-head in my early years. the around age 15-16 I bought DDN. The simple cover art made no sense to me, being used to extravagant and overwrought metal covers The music inside was so different from the heavy riffage that megadeth, and metallica, and Priest and Maiden and Kiss and all tyhose bands I loved were playing. The aggression was inexplicably raised up to 11, and the dissonance was so skronkalicious, it forever altered what my mind wanted to hear. I still enjoyed the Metal, but I was on the hunt for more music like DDN, like Sonic Youth. Soon, within a few years, the "out of tune" dissonance no longer seemed "off" in any way. In fact, it seemed much more interesting to my mind's ear than any normal guitar sounds.

Through my love of SY and their sound I got into Naked City, Polvo, Unwound, Butthole Surfers, early pavement, etc... It really was more about that sound to me than about the band's subculture and affiliations.