View Single Post
Old 08.05.2017, 03:38 PM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
Because black people are oppressed in the US is no reason to support Israel.

I think you're deliberately misunderstanding me, and I think this comment right up here ^^ is a dangerous oversimplification, not only of the issue, but of my stance on it.

Where/when did I say anyone should support Israel?

Did I not, in fact, shame the US government for supporting Israel? Did I not imply that their continued support of Israel makes them complicit in the crimes of Netanyahu, and suggest that the US be boycotted as well?

And I'm not engaging in false equivalency here. I'm not saying "black people are oppressed in the US so who cares about Israel?" I'm not a complete fucking moron, thanks, and I get that these two separate issues do not cancel each other out, or lend to any justification of either atrocity.

What I said, in short, was: Fuck any celebrity who thinks a rock band is the most important part of the fight against apartheid. Fuck any celebrity who claims to vehemently oppose tyranny with one hand while selling hand-jobs to a different colored tyrant with the other (Waters' big anti-Trump arena shows are taking place in Trump's back yard — why couldn't Radiohead do the same thing? I know they didn't perform a big expensive ass protest show, but if they did, he'd still have thrown a fit about where they did it).
I also said a lot of things about just how bad things are in the US. I'm tempted to call anyone who makes money hand over Fucking fist touring the US but shames other bands for playing one show in Tel Aviv COMPLETE FUCKING HYPOCRITES. It's easy to wage a headline war against the enemy that's half a world away.)

- Also, Radiohead playing a concert in Tel Aviv is not "supporting Israel."
- Me saying that Radiohead performing a concert in Tel Aviv is pretty much the least important thing in the orbit of the Israel-Palestine conflict is not the same as ME "supporting Israel."

I'm not saying "Go Israel! because black people get shot in the US" and you goddamn well know it.

I'm saying: Fuck Roger Waters and his trivial celebrity bulkshit. It's not doing anyone any favors, and all Radiohead did by playing that show was brjng joy to some fans, and decide not to, y'know, rob them blind of the $200 they all spent on tickets.

I'm also saying: Fuck ethnically-motivated violence of any kind. Fuck it.

So if all of this still sounds like I support Israel because "black people are oppressed," I'd love to hear why.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|