View Single Post
Old 02.28.2012, 05:56 PM   #2873
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfeatencake
well i wanted to study film in melbourne but it didn't work out and it is really heard to get into uni for film in germany (you have to hand in a short film and it has to be pretty good and all my film friends live in melbourne....)
but american literature studies is pretty cool too. i mean, they had a fight club seminar and a star was one at my uni in the last years so i am hoping for good stuff. and i love books and english (i mean my fav brother is from england and i tried to move to OZ in 2010) so american literature studies is a pretty NICE thing to do at uni for me

prolly a good thing you didn't go straight into film. those schools are mostly useless. not a bad idea to start with literature actually. you get a better understanding of character and story and all that.

and i love books, don't get me wrong, it's that it's hard for me to find things i enjoy anymore. i'm like a tired spent jaded whore when it comes to reading.

so what's this story with your having brothers all over the planet? was your dad a traveling salesman? or do you belong to a religious cult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't really see what all the fuss is with this niche thing. Of course they're problematic; they can distort or exclude or be reductive but it'd be almost impossible to navigate or organise a topic as broad as literature, without them. There'll always be differences of opinion regarding what's included and what isn't (I thought it odd, for example, that no mention was given to the Beats in the American list) but that just contributes to the fun of debate and highlights the ongoing openness of the canon. No course can cover everything and there's always the case for claiming the validity of something that's left out over something that isn't.

sure! i got some sleep so i am less cranky today. ha!

im all for having a fluid canon of course, it's the ghettoization that bugs me. see? "here's the canon-- and here's the cannon for the little people who couldn't cut it but we have to mention them out of political correctness"

zadie smith-- does she belong to contemporary literature or is she an "anglo-afrocaribbean woman writer" (or whatevers)?

--

side note:

the the the hm hm err eh.. oh yes!

i had this friend who studied british literature and being into theory shit she looked at the sociology & institutions & things. one thing she mentioned to me once was that when an irish/scottish/welsh writer/poet was new etc. it was classified as "provincial" but when they got famous they suddenly become "english literature". and funny thing, one of the earliest reviews of joyce published he's cast as some sort of talented irish wildman lololol

ghetto/not-ghetto. burn the fucking ghetto. it's just good/no good.

---

ps - did you notice the "anglistik" list has no ghetto? it's just the american one that does. oy....!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|