View Single Post
Old 05.08.2017, 12:54 PM   #21023
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
@thedom

another thing i was saying earlier is that i've never been able to watch eraserhead in a single stretch. i've pieced it together from the bits i catch between falling asleep repeatedly and without mercy. i do like the images a lot though. but as a sequence of moving images in time, it's a bit like watching flies fuck. same thing with his empire of the whatever zzzzz but that one has worse images.

and with sleep in mind a double feature of solaris and 2001 would be waaay too much for me to handle. i love both movies, they're beautiful, i've seen them repeatedly, but they're also super slow and ponderous -- and to have my ass parked on a movie seat for however many hours it would take for completion would require sedatives and a straitjacket.

one or the other yes. together? with a major intermission of like 1/2 a day maybe.

but anyway i was thinking earlier that solaris survives its age better. 2001 did for movies what hadn't been done before, but the effects today look a bit shit-- thinking particularly of going into the my god is full of stars thing, those color bars, look clunky today. BUT they look clunky today BECAUSE he opened the door to make it look clunky. but still looks clunky. so there's teh paradox-- it's diminished because it was so great.

solaris, being more of a "thought" movie than a visual spectacle (it is nevertheless so fucking beautiful) relied on the similarities to earth rather than pricey gizmo, and for that you can watch it today like in its day pretty much. a tree is still a tree. a cabin is still a cabin. and it has more poetry.

the other thing is that in 2001 there are 2 stories and one only really gets one. i mean in 2001 the battle against IBM-1 is the great climactic moment and the most remembered thing about that movie, but... the part about the transformation/birth of the starchild is kind of obscured for me. and that was sort of the point of the movie that gets lost in there. the whole next step in evolution thing. in the book version i read, he nukes the earth ha ha ha.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|