View Single Post
Old 11.02.2013, 03:12 PM   #1116
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Such is fame. Its also why generally speaking, I like to avoid hyped and mainstream music of any genre, because I don't like having to apologize all the time for the character flaws. It seems that in indie music, such traits are more reserved less exaggerated. Its not that they're not there, its just they are less pronounced. As to Kanye, these character traits/flaws (depending on your perspective) have always been prominent, since day 1, and it is part and parcel of the Kanye package. You can't have the music without the personality of the musician. Its sort of like dating a bi-polar person, you of course always enjoy the sheer joy and passion of their manic up modes, but when they crash into the depressive side of the coin, suddenly shit seems sour. Its like, duh, the manic is part of the depressive, its the same person. You either accept people for who they are, or you don't. For example, I venerate Tupac probably MORE and MORE OBNOXIOUSLY than y'all like Kanye, and the guy has very serious issues with his relationships with women, his blatant/brazen combative attitude, and his charming self-absorption. He is what he is. Many people have strongly and rightfully criticized Tupac for his flaws, as they should, and when you're under the microscope these flaws become all the more glaring. However, for myself, I never personally found Kanye's music fantastic enough to justify his personality. Y'all would have to spend more time defending/explaining his music to me before we ever got around to the customary apologies for his personality. Tupac was abrasive, Kanye is just getting ridiculous. Severian, you mentioned he is using meth, is this true? If that is the case, IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. And the guy needs to stop, meth is bad news, it makes heroin look tame by comparison, seriously.

I have no proof that he's doing meth, and I haven't even heard a single rumor that supports the accusation in even the most minor or subtle way.

Just clarifying here... That comment was made mostly for the entertainment of the precious few who read my posts when they see them, consuming half pages in one of three threads.

---

Re: Music not justifying the Personality

Suchfriends..., have you ever heard MBDTF from beginning to end, in a setting that would allow for maximum attention to be paid to the music, lyrics, production, and underlying thematic content?

I honestly can't imagine, based on your posts, and what I can infer about your taste, how you could possibly not like, if not love, that album (even if you hate all the others)

I am starting to consider it my favorite hip hop album ever. This is a turn of events that my wu-tang, biggie, and Kool Keith raised inner rap fiend would never have thought possible some years ago.

Actually, I realiszed this year that my burned, pirated copy of the album from 2010 was NOT THE ACTUAL ALBUM, but instead a compilation of leaked tracks, Child Rebel Souldier songs, and G.O.O.D. singles from around that era. Lot wasn't until I started really listening to him and finally giving in I the sway his music holds over me, no matter what era it's from, or which abominable artists are included ("To The World" is one of my most played tracks ever, and it has fucking R. Kelly on it, who I really can't stand)

Anyway, when I bought the actual album and couldn't find "Don't Stop" (lol) I was pissed at first, but that was long ago now, and I've been listening to it constantly since. Even back when I thought I had it, but only had half of it and a bunch of songs That didn't seem to fit, I still told people I liked 808's, WTT, and MBDTF. Now it's gelled and I can't imagine a world without it. I've never been so blown away by a hip hop album (sorry Wu Tang Forever).

I guess I'm just saying that I was a hater too, and I only liked the fact that he was making an effort to be different. But when things clicked for me and I really listened, I became an instant megafan. It was "Runaway" that did it. I'd never heard such a weird and radio-unfriendly intro, followed by such a badass groove, followed by such a frightening and evil sample, followed by such a sad, genuine song in all my years of listening to hip hop. That song breaks down to fundamentals of the male psyche with both sympathy and (rightful) accusation.

Also the flow is dope all over, and even though nobody's talking about how touch they are, it's fucking rap, not hip hop. Hard. Hits your chest, makes you think.

My rambling point is, basically, that anyone who genuinely loves hip hop but does not relate to the gangsta mentality, should by all right venerate the shot out of Kanye for MBDTF alone.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|