View Single Post
Old 05.27.2006, 07:19 AM   #2
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Daydream Nation for one obviously has a more 'eighties' production-feel to it... Heavily compressed and just slightly over-produced for a handful of people; making the sound seem very claustrophobic. SY counter this excellently with their guitar work (the best ever for a pop-rock album in the history of mankind, in my humble opinion), which remains dynamic and vibrant throughout. Steve Shelley's forward driving beat also anchors everything solidly with just the right amount of 'action'. The 'compressed' sound is essential, I think, since otherwise the whole album would just sound like a blur of guitar-sound noise, instead of the masterpiece in melody and rock that it is. The guitars seem more like a backdrop for the total sound and tone of the album. Also, there's this science-fiction, dreamy vibe about Daydream Nation... Now, Rather Ripped, to me; has an obvious 70s rock feel to it. Maybe like Television? It sounds like it would fit in perfectly if it was played at CBGB's in the 70s. The guitars are more 'riffy' than any of their other work I think. And are more forward in the mix than any of thier other albums, Washing Machine is close I guess, but they still have that guitar texture thing going. On Rather Ripped, the song is the texture. And Reena is the epitome of this; the melody and guitar licks, the drumming, the bass; all suggest that the song itself is the highlight here, the central core of the whole album. I personally think, SY are showing off their craftmanship as mature and wholly established song-crafters. They are using the structure of the song itself, its melodies and lines as the central textures; instead of having the song as a background to the wall-of-guitar sound and texture that they kind of perfected on Murray Street and later Sonic Nurse. Rather Ripped to me feels almost like a collection of songs than an actual 'album'; if that makes sense. Sorry for rambling, hope all of that makes sense.