Thread: Rather Ripped
View Single Post
Old 12.09.2010, 04:24 AM   #129
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I see your point and appreciate it. I didn't feel so much betrayed when the record came out as just plain let down. It's not the lack of a noisier side to RR that I feel is missing, that's only one component of of their sound which I think made them so great for years. It's that on this record there's no bite, no structural brilliance and stimulating references to the way the songs have been composed. I'm all fine with their initial aim to make a poppier record, but I think they accomplished that much better with The Eternal. To be honest, though, I feel that overall they stagnated since Sonic Nurse. I'd prefer they make records that feel more like Sonic Youth trying new things out, moving on, without particularly having to force a drastic re-thinking of their own music.

I think itīs very usual and also natural that many artists creativity go down when they get older. I know only few where has happend backwards (tom waits, John Parish and Pj Harvey) and thereīs some whoīs creativity seem to continue (Nick Cave, also captain Beefheart made two almost as good records as his best after few not so good records). To me itīs ok, if creativity go down as long as there is some freshness in music. Thatīs the reason why I still like Rolling Stones although I prefer Bridges to Babylon much more than Bigger Bang. Youīre right, there happend something after Nurse and I think the main reason was that Jim floated away. As I before said in my opinion anything radical has happened in Sonic Youth music since EVOL (maybe their "most radical" albums are in my opinion experimental and NYC ghosts, because there are almost none of that melodic (I just donīt remember what that guitar tuning is called, was it "pavement"-tuning?) clear and to me most enjoyable guitarchordbased songs. I think thatīs the main reason I like RR and also Eternal a lot, because I find there many great melodies. It seems to now, that I will love SY as long as they made albums, but of course it will be possible that I am going to disappoint again to some album. If they do album thereīs only farting, I will not probably buy it if they donīt fart interesting way. : )

I liked to thank you again because this conversation has been that kind of I like to discuss about music. I think many put only few lines nowadys and there is strong opinions without arguments. I think strong opinions is good as long as there are also arguments.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|