View Single Post
Old 02.01.2017, 05:24 PM   #36
NickSoulsby
little trouble girl

NickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Crazy list of contributors, I was sold already but now I'm getting this ASAP. I didn't expect to see so many names, and some names came as surprise - I'm keen to see what they all have to say. A real deep dive. Was there any kind of criterea when it came to selecting contributors?

Evening T n' B! Basically I started with my discography list that I'd been using to collect records from for years, fleshed that out a bit more, was determined to cover these album-length/album-style releases, which often meant covering what certain people had been involved with at other times (whether a single song or a live release or whatever), then filling gaps (because I did want there to be an ongoing narrative running across/through releases across the years), plus maybe one person would introduce me to another and so forth. Then there were simply folks I never managed to contact or hunt down - no disrespect to them but I just never found them, or didn't know how to get hold of them...And ultimately ran out of time - these things have to end before the excitement dies. Plus if I'd pursued everrrrrrything into the dirt (which would appeal to my completist urges) then I'd have ended up with a book which was unreadable.

Records like Pillow Wand - I SO had to cover it, so Nels Cline was vital. I definitely wanted to cover the punk rock covers phase - so that made Dave Markey crucial. John Moloney for the Caught On Tape era, Mats Gustafsson...Certain people were just logical. Others were just ambition, or because the cassette fascinated me, or something seemed to fit thematically with something else (like the DJ Spooky / Root / electronica spell).

All of this starts back with the blog posts I did in 2015:
https://nirvana-legacy.com/2015/01/0...oore-part-one/
NickSoulsby is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|