View Single Post
Old 01.28.2017, 06:52 AM   #29
NickSoulsby
little trouble girl

NickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's assesNickSoulsby kicks all y'all's asses
Private messages welcomed, likewise my contact details are on my blog too (Nirvana-Legacy.com) so feel free to say hi anytime.

My feeling, especially has the book work went on - was that Thurston's work outside SY constantly fed impulses that fed back into the band, but also that there comes a point where SY becomes just one strand of this much wider world of activity, that's all equally important to him (regardless of the way much press wouldn't touch his wilder work with a barge-pole), as he becomes this omnivorous and more 'complete' musician.

Structurally I made the case as I saw it in the 10 page introductory essay, then the book covers around 200 releases across 265 pages (with a degree of flow and connection and theme lacing them together and allowing that insight into how Thurston was developing), then there's a 33 page Contributors section briefly outlining the work and focus of each of the 170 people who tell the tale.

Finally there's a 14 page long discography of his work outside of Sonic Youth (I'd seen lists in this book and that book, but nothing even close to completeness; the Wikipedia entry isn't complete; the Discogs entry has a few gaps and is clogged with reissues and repeats; plus Thurston gave me a few notes of stuff that isn't listed anywhere.) The discography focuses on listing the original material - no reprints, no reissues - just first release of brand new music.
NickSoulsby is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|