View Single Post
Old 01.24.2017, 01:41 AM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSoulsby
Oh you can totally breathe easy - if you have a question, I'm cool to give my thoughts.

My first step was I wrote a book in 2012 on Nirvana's Incesticide album, self-published, put the work into the Nirvana-Legacy blog. That established sufficient record that, when I came up with the idea of 'I Found My Friends' (it was originally going to be blog posts about all the mysterious little bands who played with Nirvana) an agent was willing to take a read, assess it, take a chance - that's pretty vital given publishers have no money these days, they don't read manuscripts unless they're coming from a professional. A publisher accepted that book - another asked me to do 'Cobain on Cobain'. The Thurston thing started with a set of blog posts I did 'reviewing' some of the lesser known records. I decided it would work as a book, so I hunted down the contact details for his agent, presented a brief proposal for what I wanted to do - she made the connection. I just made sure to treat him with all due courtesy and respect - basically what one would give to any person.

In terms of the choice to cut SY out of the tale - sure, I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't love Sonic Youth: but that felt like a different story, one that deserved either its own book or something else. Imagine only being spoken of in terms of one component of your life - I felt it was a good thing to do to see Thurston in terms of all the many avenues he's explored outside of that entity.

Thank you for the insight.

Now, when you're taking about "professionals," what, exactly, are the publishing industry standards for this? I work for a newspaper and media group. I don't only write for a living — wouldn't call myself a "writer" — but that's most of what I do. I have no experience in actual book publishing. But, when you say "professional," are you referring to people who have written books, or do you think a background in journalism would help?

Not that I'm considering doing anything like this any time soon, but it is kind of a pipe dream, and I figure it wouldn't kill me to get some input.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|