View Single Post
Old 05.11.2010, 08:54 AM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
wal mart stocks albums from the [past that are guaranteed sellers.

as far as new bands coming up iwth full albums..

It has been a while , years, since I have heard an album of songs where the whole was amazing.

I put on Built To Spill's KEEP IT LIKE A SECRET in the car the other day and it slammed me how each song is KILLER, and just builds and builds so that by the time you are reaching the 10th song on the album it is overwhelming how awesome it is.

That was on WARNER BROS.
I would venture that nowadays finding a full album of amazing tunes coming out of warner bros is near impossible.

The thing with this is that there's a greater impetus for complete, quality product (and we are talking product) from WB and the like. You say it's been years since you found a whole album of great tunes - if you buy primarily in the indie sector, there's far less necessity for that level of quality. I know you, and most people here, don't care for the huge end of commercial pop, but WB and the like have been upping the ante on 'quality product' for years. Again, I know most of you won't like it, but Breakout by Miley Cyrus is a simply astonishingly great record (if you happen to like that sort of thing), and there's been some very consistent whole records from the likes of Britney, Christina, Avril and so on since the 'death' of the industry.

No-one's obliged to think like that sort of thing - that's personal taste - but in the context of pop music, quality has very seriously increased in the last 10 years. I think the indie sector has a different set of problems - I'd maintain that they should let people branch out a bit, and include a couple of duff songs as experiments. The problem now, I suppose, is that someone like Kate Bush, who did some preposterous things in the name of commercial pop, simply wouldn't be given that chance. I remember reading that, all that time ago, Slipknot had to remove a couple of bitchin' solos from their second record because it just didn't fit with their general ethos. If they were on MFN or Earache (unlikely, I know) they'd be given the room to include that sort of thing in their sound.

But yeah, in essence, it doesn't surprise me at all that WB put out a consistent record; what surprises me is that the market it was aimed at wasn't the pop consumer that I'm talking about, but the pop consumer that crosses over with the blackened husk of the independent underground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|