View Single Post
Old 04.30.2010, 12:10 PM   #53
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
A thousand fucking times yes. This is the first thing that came to mind. To go from, say, this and this, to this and this, in what is pretty obviously a straight up cynical cash grab, just really makes me sad. I mean that. Like literally upset. I know that's stupid, and it doesn't diminish those early records, and if the artist is happy then who cares, and whatever, but damn...

Those early recordings, Exile In Guyville and the Girlysound tapes really, still shine for me as some of most unique and generally fantastic work in 90s indie. So raw and personal and eloquent and just... I love them so much. And then the records drop off pretty quickly as she goes for the more commercial sound, and then you get to the fucking s/t record, and it is just truly awful soulless music. That fall outstrips the worst falls in musical history for me. Even on the shittiest records by like Dylan or Elvis Costello or Van Morrison or whatever songwriter with rough patches you can think of (and there are some TERRIBLE records there), there's at least this sense that they're trying, or if not, then at least it's personal to them, or was where their interests were, or just SOMETHING. But those last two Phair records, I can't even bear to listen to. It just seems like she has 100% submerged everything true about her in this purely boring, cookie cutter bland pop shit, and I really can't do it.

Ah well, off to listen to the Girlysound tapes, and none of that will matter.

omg thank you so much for posting that early link! I've never heard her demos before and they sound so much better than the album produced versions. It strikes such a huge chord in the more honest, intimate setting. Im downloading this immediately when I get back home.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|